Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Work holding tool

After chasing the small bits of wood around trying to cut string slots in a piece of wood for a
 nut/string guide, I remembered a tool I had seen somewhere....
I rifled through my scraps and came up with this.
Two pieces of scrap from neck builds and a clamp. I also added a nut blank bellow the clamp to act as a fulcrum. With the work clamped lightly I can square up the nut and get it positioned where I need it before clamping it tightly and getting to work.

It grips the small piece of wood and gives me something to hold onto while I cut string slots and shape the piece into something resembling a nut.  The slope on this side gives me room to get my Dremel in close.

The square side gives me a reference for depth. 

I may end up building a permanent tool, using a hinge for a fulcrum instead of fumbling with a second nut. For now using scraps and fumbling around is working.






No comments:

Post a Comment