Thursday, April 9, 2015

CBG Scarf Joint

I thought I would blog about each step of a CBG build. I'll try to give plenty of details on each step. I normally start with the neck, and the scarf joint.

I normally use Oak or Poplar for my necks. I found a local source for Maple 1X2s so I'm using maple for this build.

I rough cut the head stock to 4 inches on my builds. This dimension isn't critical, you just need enough room to mount the tuners.  

The cut line marked out from the 4 inch mark to the opposite corner. This angle isn't critical, just enough to get the tuners bellow the nut. I used to know how to do the math to figure out that angle but that knowledge is lost to time....

I use a pull saw for most of the cuts on my builds. It works well and I like using hand tools as much as possible for my builds. 

My cut wandered off the line. I have built about 6 CBGs using a scarf joint for the head stock and I haven't managed a perfect cut yet. They get better each time though. I'll straighten it up with a plane.

I put a couple witness marks by the cuts so you can see the orientation of the pieces as they will be glued up. 

Using some scraps to protect the neck I clamped the two pieces of the joint in my bench vice. The cut side is up on both pieces. I used a scrap of 1/4" fret board to back up the thin end.

This is the plane I use to smooth things out. 

A few minutes with the plane and the two halves are trued up. You can see the line is perpendicular where the two halves overlap. 

Everything I need for glue up is laid out. A piece of plastic will keep the neck from being glued to the bench. The problem with clamping a scarf joint is the two pieces want to slip when they are clamped together. I have a scrap screwed to my bench that the short piece will butt up against and I will use a C-clamp to clamp the long piece to the bench, this will stop the joint from slipping when I put the clamps on. 
Most of the tuners I have used work best in a head stock that is 1/2" to 5/8" thick. When I glue the scarf joint I glue them up so the head stock will be a little over 5/8" thick, this leaves some material for clean up. 

I'll let it dry over night before I take the clamps off. 

All glued up.... I used the plane again to clean up the sides, I also cut off the excess length. At this point you have a complete head stock. Lately I've been adding shape to my head stocks to do this I add some width to the head.

Contrasting colored wood works good here if you want to add some interest to the build. This time I'm using matching Maple scraps. 

I planed the mating surfaces to get a good gluing surface. Then clamped the glued up pieces in my vice.  

Another night of glue curing and it is ready to be cleaned  up.

Everything cleaned up and ready for some shape. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet....
You get the idea though. This neck is ready for a fret board and box. 



No comments:

Post a Comment