Saturday, April 18, 2015

HD Cigar Box Guitar

I took a trip to Sturgis to meet up with some friends and watch ZZ Top play. One of my friends is a dedicated Harley man and shares my passion for That little ol' band from Texas. The trip inspired me to build another CBG....
A Harley Davidson themed build. 
I took a trip to the Harley shop to pick up a couple goodies. I managed to get out without buying a Harley.
My friend has a skull theme on his bike and since I will end up giving this to him I thought I would make it match his bike. I had a black box in my stash, it should work well with the chrome.

 I'm using oak for the neck. I'm thinking a fretless one string acoustic since it will spend most of it's time hanging on the wall in his Harley room but it still needs to be playable.

Oak isn't the easiest wood to carve, but I managed to get a recess carved out to mount the key fob in the head stock. 

It was looking a bit plain, so I added a crescent shaped sound hole and a scull and crossbones inside.

Originally I was thinking a one string Diddly Bo for this build but I like three strings better. 

Finished up... the skull peeking out through the sound hole. Originally I had glued the round medallion to the lid of the box. The epoxy didn't grip the shiny chrome and it popped off, I regrouped and thought about it....
I glued the medallion to the neck instead, this also freed up the top to vibrate more. 

A threaded brass rod for the nut.

As usual I didn't take enough pictures of the build, but this is how it ended up...




No comments:

Post a Comment